Medicine-whether in the form of health supplements or pharmaceuticals-is big business indeed. With profit margins which are nearly four times the average of any business, the pharmaceutical industry enjoys a high position being between the most profitable businesses on the planet.
The nutraceutical industry is not far behind offering stiff competition to pharmaceutical counterparts. Research is booming and science-based studies have given successful impetus to the plant-based health supplement industry. Some of the more popular botanicals like as Echinacea, gingko biloba, ginseng, garlic, and St. John’s Wort are seeing sales that put them in the same league with many prescription drugs. In fact, so popular is the health supplement industry that pharmaceutical giants like Bayer, click here for more info American Home Products, Johnson and Johnson and Boeheringer-Ingelheim have all begun to market supplements!
What is the Difference?
There is not a lot of a difference between nutraceuticals and pharmaceuticals aside from the way in which they’re regulated in the usa although both are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drugs Administration. Major differences include:
* Pharmaceuticals that are produced from plant proteins for vaccines and medical treatments won’t be the same as nutraceuticals. The major difference is that pharmaceuticals were created designed for medical use under a physician’s supervision, and are at the mercy of Food And Drugs Administration approval.
Health supplements do not need medical supervision, nor Food And Drugs Administration approval.
* Pharmaceuticals need prescription from a certified doctor for purchase. The choice of a health supplements is up to the average person. Health supplements can be purchased without restrictions at health food stores, grocery stores, drug stores, national discount chains, mail-order and Internet.
* You can find no strict regulating laws governing health supplements. Just about anyone can come up with a health supplement, notify the meals And Drugs Administration , and put it available in the market. In stark contrast, it requires anywhere between 8-12 years for a new drug to be approved by the meals And Drugs Administration . Pharmaceuticals undergo intense regulatory reviews by the Food And Drugs Administration .
* Due to stricter regulations, pharmaceuticals have greater proof efficacy and safety. Whereas natural supplements derive from tradition with insufficient evidence of safety and efficacy. However, that is changing as new research accumulates to support the health great things about a number of the accepted nutrients. Eg omega 3 fatty acids.
* Pharmaceuticals are patented. Herbs and health supplements are not patented and therefore the profits are limited with stiff competition from all types of health supplement manufacturers.
* Pharmaceuticals spend huge amount of money for research and paperwork for a new therapeutic claim of an established drug all to satisfy Food And Drugs Administration requirements. Food And Drugs Administration requirements for natural supplements are not at all stringent apart from barring them from making any false health claims about their product and adding a disclaimer: “This statement is not evaluated by the meals and Drug Administration. The product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.”
* Pharmaceuticals come with various side effects. Known side effects are required to be disclosed on the label. While health supplements do not require a listing of side effects, there is commonly fewer cases of side effects associated with the usage of health supplements.
Complaining about the high cost of traditional medicine and unwanted effects, many people are turning to alternative medicine in the form of health supplements. A written report by the Hartman Group, a respected general market trends firm called, “The Wellness Trends in 2002” discovered that Americans are starting to place the family and good health above the daily routines of life. The type of interviewed many expressed frustration with U.S. healthcare system and wanted more control over their very own health. The report said, “Dietary supplements … (allow) them a way of self-managing their very own health … giving them a sense of empowerment,” the report states. This is an advantage over pharmaceuticals.In line with the Nutrition Business Journal fast growth in the nutraceutical market is seen in weight-loss products.
The demand for such products is growing as you consider the a lot more than 120 million overweight Americans and 17 million diabetics who are looking for supplements that increase metabolism, suppress or satiate appetite, and control blood sugar. Such sectors in the health supplement industry have gained footage over pharmaceuticals.IN THE US, 60% of the consumers take some kind of food supplement and 30 to 40% take herbal supplements. Health supplements are gaining such credibility that lots of physicians are recommending them with their patients before prescribing riskier pharmaceuticals. Of medical supplement users 95% are satisfied with supplements.In the meanwhile, research continues to be booming in both industries! Product manufacturers continue to unveil groundbreaking products as new evidence supporting the health benefits of nutraceuticals emerges.